The Product Owner is responsible for:
- Developing and maintaining a product vision and market strategy;
- Product management;
- Ordering and managing the Product Backlog;
- Involving stakeholders and end-users in Product Backlog refinement and backlog management;
- Alignment with other Product Owners when needed from an overall product, company or customer perspective
A Great Product Owner…
- Embraces, shares and socializes the product vision
- Exceeds the customer’s expectation
- Is empowered
- Orders the product backlog.
- Knows modeling techniques.
- Shares experiences.
- Owns user story mapping.
- Has a focus on functionality.
- Is knowledgeable
- Understands the business domain.
- Acts on different levels.
- Knows the 5 levels of Agile planning.
- Is available.
- Is able to say ‘no’.
- Acts as a “Mini-CEO”.
- Knows the different types of valid Product Backlog items.
- Takes Backlog Refinement seriously.
If we focus on profit over value to customers, we will obtain neither. If we focus on visible customer value over profit, we will profit.